This Sopa de Fideo, also known as Mexican noodle soup, is a tomato-based soup that's easy to make and perfect for the whole family! This satisfying and comforting soup is also vegetarian and vegan.
- 2 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces fideo pasta
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- Add canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, cumin and 1 cup broth in a large blender. Blend until completely smooth. Blend this in a blender until smooth.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add blended tomato sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and add fideo pasta noodles. Stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until pasta has browned a little and begun to blister.
- Add the warm blended tomato sauce, the remaining 5 cups of broth and salt. Stir together to combine, cover and cook for 20 minutes, until the noodles are cooked through.
- Taste and season with more salt if necessary.