This vegan creamy polenta and red wine mushrooms is a dream. Quick enough to be a weeknight meal, decadent enough to be a date night meal. Easy creamy polenta takes no time at all and a big steamy bowl is topped with some truly incredible mushrooms. They are cooked with garlic and red wine, and there is probably nothing better than that!
You’ll Need:Red Wine Mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Red wine, vegan
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 16 Ounces Mushrooms, I used baby bella and shiitake(sliced)
- 1 Teaspoon Rosemary, dried
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable broth
- 1 Teaspoon Corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Cups Water
- 3 Tablespoons Vegan butter, I used Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Cup Corn meal
- First, start on the polenta. Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium sized sauce pan. Then pour the corn meal into the water in a slow steady stream, whisking the whole time. Make sure it is very slow, or the corn meal will clump together. Make sure it is all combined and there are no lumps.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Stir every few minutes. It is done when it is nice and thick and has absorbed all the liquid.
- In the mean time, make the red wine mushrooms. Heat the olive oil on medium high in a non stick skillet or cast iron skillet. Add the chopped garlic. Saute for a minute. Then add the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are starting to brown.
- Then add the rosemary and red wine. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, reducing heat as needed. Or until the mushrooms have absorbed most of the wine.
- Now, whisk together the veggie broth and corn starch. Then add it to the mushrooms. Simmer for a few more minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season with another pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Once the polenta is nice and thick, add the vegan butter, and stir to melt the vegan butter into the polenta. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Now serve immediately with the creamy polenta in a bowl and top with the mushrooms and red wine sauce.