This nutty green veggie crunch salad ranks among my all-time favorite recipes. It's chock-full of nutritious green vegetables and so, so fun to eat. The best of both worlds wrapped up in one crisp, refreshing salad!
- 1/2 large head romaine, washed, patted dry, and shredded
- 1/2 to 3/4 large head green cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2–3 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup shelled edamame*
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds (or a mix of all three—my favorite), plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
Nutty Sesame Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari**
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- For the salad: Add all salad ingredients to a large serving bowl.
- For the dressing: In a medium mixing bowl, vigorously whisk together all dressing ingredients until completely smooth and emulsified.
- Pour as much of the dressing over the salad as desired, and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately and top with more nuts and seeds, if desired.
- *I use frozen shelled edamame. If you do this too, just be sure to thaw it before adding!
- **I used regular Tamari. If you use reduced-sodium, you'll want to increase the amount (maybe to 2 tablespoons or so). Also, if you don't need to keep this salad gluten-free, you can substitute soy sauce for the tamari.