Cheesy Grits Casserole with Smoked Sausage can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You won’t be able to get enough of this wholesome southern casserole.
One of my favorites is Butterball Turkey Dinner Sausage which I used in this Cheesy Grits Casserole. It comes in different flavors including a spicy one and a kielbasa. And there are probably a million quick and easy meals you can cook with this flavorful, but lean sausage. Try it in jambalaya or gumbo. It’s also great with pasta or in macaroni and cheese.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Butterball smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups quick-cooking grits
- ½ cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a nonstick skillet. Add sliced sausage and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add red bell pepper and onion and sauté 3 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and chicken broth to a boil. Add salt and then slowly stir grits in. Simmer grits for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk, eggs, and garlic powder. Slowly stir in about 1 cup of the hot grits to temper the eggs. Then pour milk/grits mixture into saucepan with the rest of the grits. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and ½ of the Cheddar cheese. Mix in the sausage mixture. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese on top.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes.