Pulled Pork can now be enjoyed by everyone! Vegetarian Pulled Pork is about as close to the real thing as you’re ever going to get!
- 40 ounces canned jackfruit, packed in water, drained
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, adjust for desired heat
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup bbq sauce, see notes
- Begin by draining the jackfruit and rinsing well under cold water. Using your fingers, massage the jackfruit and break the pieces apart; set aside
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil, add the onion and jackfruit; sauté until the onion is slightly caramelized
- Add the remaining ingredients with the exception of the bbq sauce. Continue to sauté over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir often because brown sugar will burn easily.
- Once cooked, use a fork to press the remaining larger pieces of jackfruit so that the pieces fall apart and resemble the fibers of cooked pork.
- Add one cup of your favourite bbq sauce and stir into the pork. Continue to cook until sauce is heated through.
- When selecting a bbq sauce, remember that some bbq sauces are already sweet, so you might want to cut back on the brown sugar, but don't cut it out completely. Brown sugar is needed to help the jackfruit caramelize and brown. Ideally, look for a low-sugar or sugar-free bbq sauce.
- As a side note, the longer you simmer the mixture, the deeper the flavour will be. Even though this dish is ready in 45 minutes, you can leave the "meat" to simmer for a longer period of time to intensify the flavour. If the mixture becomes dry, add 1 tablespoon of water and stir. Keeping the lid on the pan will help to keep the pork moist if you plan to simmer for a longer period of time.